Friday, November 9, 2012

Music Composition with Found Objects - Group Music Lesson Plan Idea

I was with my 18-month-old at the grocery store, and she is at a super fun age when she loves music, she loves imitating things, and she loves discovering new things. So we're walking into the store, and she suddenly starts singing a high-pitched "eeeeEEE!!!" Then she repeats it a few seconds later on the same pitch, "eeeeEEEEEE!!" She did this about five times before I realized she was copying the beeping of the scanners at the checkout. This made me laugh and I was in awe at how amazing little kids are. They can sometimes notice things that we completely tune out and are not paying attention to.

This then made me think about how music is everywhere. Isn't that how every music appreciation lesson begins? Super cheesy, super cliché, right? But that thought popped into my head, and got me thinking about a lesson plan, which I think could be used in a private or group setting.  We did a similar class like this in one of my classes at Teachers College, and I loved it!  It involves creating musical compositions using found objects.  So much fun for kids (and for me too!).


  • Objective: Create and perform musical compositions using found objects. 
  • Preparation/Materials: Assign students to bring (or gather yourself) some found objects to use as instruments. Have poster paper and markers available.
  • Introduction: Play "Water Walk" by John Cage.  Tell students to watch for strange instruments.  Discuss the students' observations.
    • Below is a video of Cage performing the piece himself.  The picture quality is low, but the sound is okay.  Start watching at around 5:40.

    • I also found this video below, which has better quality picture, but unfortunately the sound has some echo.

    • UPDATE 04/26/14: I have since been exposed to some fun, awesome, and upbeat videos of my husband's friend playing popular songs with found objects.  Click here for an updated part 2 of this blog post, with links to these fabulous videos.  SERIOUSLY, GO CHECK THEM OUT.  THEY ARE FANTASTICALLY ACCESSIBLE FOR YOUNG AUDIENCES.
  • Explain: Explain that music is everywhere and they can make music with the objects they/you brought. 
  • Demonstrate: You may choose to demonstrate a composition you have done, especially for very young students. However, it may be appropriate to give little guidance up front, since they already had a demo from Cage. You don't want to stifle their creativity by limiting them with your own composition as an example. Just be aware that some kids may take your example and merely replicate it. Think about your own students and do what's appropriate for them. 
  • Application: Allow the students to experiment with their found objects. Instruct them to "compose" a piece by drawing how they want it to sound on their poster. It can be images, words, or abstract shapes or lines. 
  • Perform: Each student takes a turn to perform their composition, and/or allow them to play each others' compositions. 
  • Discuss: Allow the students to discuss their experience. Guide the discussion as needed. What was difficult? What did they enjoy? How was their overall experience? What did they learn? 
  • Conclusion: Remind the students that music is everywhere, just waiting to be created. Challenge them to look/listen for music in unusual, unexpected, or unconventional forms or places. Follow up with students in their individual lessons.
Let me know if you try this with your students.  I want to hear how it goes!  And if you have any questions or comments, please comment below.

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    www.musiciansmobile.com

    ReplyDelete